Thursday, August 28, 2008

Treaures From My Home...



I just wanted to share with you all some beautiful furniture pieces in my home that have so much history to them!!! I love anything with a story behind it and I have three stories ready to go!! The first picture is of the beautiful chair that belonged to my mum's great...great...great...great?? grandfather (I'm not sure how many great's...but she did say it a few times!!) This chair was made out of the wood that built the boat that bought himself and his family from London to Africa (Where I lived up until 7 years ago) It is amazing how sturdy and surprisingly comfortable this chair is!! I have added it to my room (Not much space left!) and it looks amazing at my beautiful aged white desk. The second image is of a chaise lounge my parents bought about 15 years ago from an antique shop in South Africa that was across the road from my Dad's work. Mum seems to think it is about 110 years old, and it carved out of beautiful mahogany. I would love to know where I could get this piece valued! It really needs some new upholstery though...it is looking very tired (which I think I would be too if I was 100yrs old!) And last but not least....I have tried taking a photo of this a million times but it is just not coming up clear. My gran in Tasmania gave me a ring with the most amazing story behind it....I feel honoured and blessed that she chose me to have it for my 21st birhday present. She found this ring during the Depression in the 1930's when she was 6yrs old and she has managed to keep it for 72 years and has now passed it on to me!! It is such an amazing ring and I can't wait to get a good picture of it! Now that I would love to know the history behind....whose it was...where it came from. Oh if only I knew! x x

6 comments:

cathypentonatelier said...

Hi Kate
What an absolutely gorgeous comment to start my day...I have lots of old pieces of furniture in my tiny little cottage that speak to me as well and it some how feels as though we have more of a history then, I hope you know what I mean...I will put a link to your blog from mine.. Thank you for making me smile this morning... You should be very proud of having wonderful creative goals and following them through.... Love Cathy xx

Unknown said...

Hi Kate,
I love the chaise. It is really beautiful. I think it is great that you value these old things. Most youngsters don't
Have a nice weekend!
Bye,
Marianne.

Zoe's Art said...

Puffin.....love the stories. It makes a piece of furniture so much more interesting. The chair is my favourite. See you tonight??....x x

lily-g said...

such a nice story kate and how french is the garden chair,hope you had a fun night have a relaxing week-end sweety xx

Oliveaux said...

Loved reading your blog Kate, see you again soon! Amanda

Ness Lockyer said...

Your blog is lovely Kate. I just dropped by from Lily-G. You have made an impression over there. Congrats on completing your Interior Design course...something I have always wanted to do. LOVE that chair, and well done to you for snapping it up first. Take Care, Ness xx
marleyandlockyer.blogspot.com